Requirement for Applying for A Z-Visa to Work in China



As the growing market of teaching english as second language, China has become one of the large destination for ESL teachers to teach English abroad. In order to work in China legally, you need a Z work visa. And this article will share with you the requirement for applying for a Z visa.


Basic requirements:

ü  18 years old (or above)

ü  No criminal record

ü  A good health

ü  Related skills and work experience

ü  A valid passport or any other valid travel document in lieu of a passport.


Necessary documents:

ü  Application form for your Chinese work permit

ü  Medical certificate (within 6 months)

ü  Employment contract / certificate, or government authorization letter

ü  Non-criminal record certificate

ü  Passport, visa or valid residence permit.

ü  Job qualification certificate (usually you need 2-year work experience)

ü  A bachelor’s degree (or higher) or vocational qualification certification (authenticated)


Countries/regions where English is the mother tongue/main language:

ü  Ascension Island, Australia, Akrotiri of Cyprus and the British region of Dhekelia, Antigua and Barbuda, Anguilla

ü  Bermudas, British Antarctic Territory, British Indian Ocean, British Cayman Islands, Bahamas, Barbados, British Virgin Islands

ü  Canada

ü  Dominica

ü  Falkland Islands (Malvinas)

ü  Gibraltar, Guernsey, Guyana (formerly British Guyana), Grenada

ü  Ireland, Isle of Man (British Irish Sea Territory)

ü  Montserrat

ü  New Zealand

ü  Jamaica, Jersey

ü  Pitcairn Islands

ü  Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent, South Georgia and South Sang Wichi Islands, St. Helena, Singapore, South Africa

ü  Territory, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, Tristan da Cunha

ü  United Kingdom, United States, US Virgin Islands


Some important facts:

ü  Each residence permit issued has particular purpose, like study, work and visiting relatives. If you decide to change you plan, you need to apply for a new residence permit.

ü  You cannot leave the country if you overstay past the visa date. You will not be allowed to board your flight, and may be questioned or punished.

ü  Normally your work visa and residence permit are generally valid for one year. Even if you apply for a long-term work visa and residence permit (which requires a contract of more than one year and submitted to the Chinese government for processing), you will be likely need to renew it every year.

ü  If you change your employer but get a similar job in another company, you are allowed to apply for the visa transfer within its validity but your former company ought to cancel the work permit first.

ü  Don’t worry if you lose your passport in China. Report the local public security authorities, and go to the embassy or consulate for a replacement passport. Don’t forget to apply for a new entry visa and exit permit in the local public security authorities.